Healthy Home: Take Toxins out of Your Kitchen
Many parents put locks on cabinets that contain chemicals when they have children in the house. Unfortunately, using these products can harm you as well. Learn to identify your household toxins and find new ways to do what you do without them.
Your home has to be clean – that’s a given. But, many of the products that we use can have side effects. Let’s take another look at that cabinet under the sink.
Are those household cleaners under your sink? Take a look at the label. There are products that are termed “organic” and phosphate free. This reduces the possible irritation to your skin, eyes and lungs. They are also safer for the environment.
Do you have sponges down there? Most sponges harbor bacteria from cleaning up food around the sink and the stove. Reusing them is actually spreading bacteria and not removing it. Try using dishcloths that can be bleached and washed to remove germs.
With kids around, it is also safer to keep these household maintenance products on a top shelf. That way, kids won’t accidentally get into them and harm themselves.
Do you use Styrofoam plates and cups? One thing that you shouldn’t do with them is use the microwave. Chemicals from the plate can leech into your food. This also goes for containers that are not microwave safe or aren’t made to be used for the microwave.
Are you one who likes to store foods in their original packaging? This may be okay for some things, but not for cans. Cans are made of metal and that metal can also leech into the food that you leave in the can in the fridge. Always store food in approved containers and seal tightly.
Do you have bugs in your kitchen? When the weather gets warm it seems like they come out of the woodwork – literally. Instead of spraying bug killers or setting off bombs that will render your entire home a toxic dump, do a little extra cleaning in places where they hide. Use natural bug deterrents like mint leaves or boric acid to keep the persistent ones away.
Water from the tap is not all it’s cracked up to be. You can filter your water and remove many of the metals and other impurities that are allowed in. you’ll probably notice a change in the taste right away.
Take a look at your dishes. When the covering starts to peel, it is time to get rid of them. These particles can flake off into your food and make you sick. Besides, when dishes start to get rust stains they can also be hazardous to your health.
How is your kitchen looking? If there are hidden toxins, work to get rid of them.